Ah, but "Don't send me viruses and I won't send you those notifications in
the first place." is the flaw. They did not send you the virus. They mearly
were member of some distribution list, had their e-mail on a web site, or
corrisponded with the person that was actually infected. Unfortunatly, in
your desire to 'assist' those that have no technical ability(A noble cause),
you send many messages to people who have done you no wrong. 99 out of 100
times your sending someone a message that indicates that they are infected.
This causes any responsible person to panic, scan their system, and find
nothing. In the end this has as much or more 'cost' as most of the viruses
put together. There is nothing wrong with sending the message if you are 99%
sure the from or reply address is correct, but otherwise, your risking
offending people and causing increases in costs for other companies and
individuals.

Here are a couple of possible situations that currently can happen.
1 : The CEO of your company is the member of a Senior Executive group and
they have a mailing list. Someone who is infected visits the web site for
the group, which has the posting e-mail list on it. You receive a infected
message to someone inside your network. Your system replys with the 'Your
Infected' e-mail. Your CEO gets a copy. He has his favorite computer savvy
family member check his computer. The family member says that the computer
is fine and that the message was incorrect. The CEO is displeased at the
wasted time trying to fix a unknown problem. You get a memo the next day,
one that I doubt would be plesant.
2 : Assume that your company values corprate relations. Some random person
is infected with one of these spoofing viruses. They had visited the web
site for a company that your company values in the corprate relationship
sense. Note that the value could be any number of things. The other
companies web site had a sales or management e-mail address for contacting
them. This random person sends to you the virus with the other companies
list address. You will be sending a message that WILL cause the other
company expense and frustration. That WILL damage relationships with that
company. Will it break them, probibly not, but you can not say with 100%
certainty that it will not.

Yes, the other company could have had a virus of the non-spoofing kind, but
your job is to protect your computers first, and I assume you have done that
or this conversation would not be happening. So it costs you nothing if they
send you a virus short of the continued maintence costs for the software.
Which you will have to spend anyway as there will always be > 0 viruses in
the wild. Responding that they have a virus in the case of a non-spoofing
virus is fine, few would argue that it is not fair. However, the problem is
that now the viruses are lieing about where they came from, so the
increadbly simple rules of the past are no longer just or safe for our
carears. What we need to do is get the mail monitor product vendors to get
some smarts and add the ability to suppress mail back in the case of a
spoofing virus. That way you could continue to crusade to end viruses and
not risk anything. Untill then, I disagree with punishing innocent people
and letting the criminal go free.

Michael