Um, no, it can't. But that's a whole different story. Microsoft has some
hard num bers about the speed of the IIS SMTP component in comparison to
sendmail. I think they're in a whitepaper someone on the MS site.

That being said, I'm not a fan of exposing Exchange directly to the
Internet. If for no other reason, I like to run border virus scanning (using
VirusWall from Trend Micro), which I feel runs better on Unix. Even then,
these systems are in the middle of the mail flow (internal relays). We use a
highly locked down[1] version of OpenBSD as inbound only relays in our DMZ
(they only accept and forward mail for us - they don't send mail outbound).
It's a bit overkill, but we also run a lot more mail through our systems
than comparible sized companies seem to do.

To answer your question, however, I've not found a case where a properly
tuned Exchange server fell under load, short of an outright DOS attack or
mail loop.

Roger D. Seielstad - MTS MCSE MS-MVP
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis Inc.