While I am not sure that the "Greg" in this post was directed at me or
whether this is some new form of abuse and sarcasm, it is pretty much
irrelevant as I do have some things to say on this issue.

The biggest problem that I have had with Exchange on the outside of the
SMTP mail chain is anti-spam in a small office environment. It is not that
anti-spam functionality does not exist in Exchange, but it is in its
native implementation. The issue actually revolves around POP3 users. For
your Exchange server to serve as the end-point for SMTP connections from
anywhere, you generally have to turn on Anonymous Authentication. This
allows any SMTP server to connect to yours to send email. Now, let's say
you have POP3 users that might be connecting from anywhere they please on
just about anyone's network. To allow these people to send email, you have
to generally turn go into Relay Restrictions and turn on "Allow all
computers which successfully authenticate to relay..." The problem with
this is that Anonymous Authentication is also on, so guess what? Spammers
can anonymously authenticate and relay spam, because, apparently in the
Microsoft world Anonymous Authentication is just as good as any other
Authentication. Oh well. And yes, you can turn this checkbox off and set
up specific computers, but if they are POP3 clients connecting from
anywhere, you are hosed there and if you set up this by domain, you have a
whole other set of problems, not the least of which is that this forces a
reverse DNS lookup.

What really needs to happen with this is that Microsoft needs to simply
add a checkbox that says something along the lines of "Anonymous
Authentication can only send inbound messages and not relay." But, I guess
since I am not an MVP the likelihood of this happening is close to zero.

In terms of speed, I do not have hard numbers, but if you buddy is making
rash statements like you indicate, he or she does not either. Tell your
buddy to show you the proof or jump off a pier. You may want to be a
little more PC. I have only seen an Exchange server's SMTP mail engine
under duress when a spammer was involved and we are talking ungodly
amounts of messages with lots of failures and retries.

In terms of having Exchange exposed to the outside world, you can secure
it, put it in a DMZ and make it a front-end server. Again, the main issue
I have is with anti-spam in specific situations but if you don't have to
worry about POP3 users or have an extra box to point POP3 users to, then
you're good to go.

Finally, I will point out that *technically* you do not even need Exchange
as the SMTP engine is built into Windows 2000/2003 and I have played
around with using this to serve as a host to forward SMTP mail into my
Exchange environment. It's been awhile since I really sat down with it,
but if memory serves it worked just fine.