-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Greg Deckler
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 11:19 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Open Relay/Spamcop

I'm right there with you on this one. Since I do not know for an absolute
FACT one way or the other it may indeed be the case that a guest account was
used or that an account was compromised.

And God forbid that I even merely hint or suggest that this is a problem
with Microsoft's software or in any way a design flaw, etc. because we all
know that storm that would cause.

But, that being said, I would like to implore to the MVP gods on this list
that they might possibly want to maybe suggest to Microsoft that they take a
look at this for no other reason than to at least modify the wording on the
check boxes. I mean "Anonymous Authentication allowed" and "Allow computers
which successfully authenticate..." on the surface seems to indicate that
yes, you can anonymously authenticate and relay messages, which I cannot
imagine would ever really be very useful to anyone except a spammer. I mean,
change the wording or add a checkbox to specifically allow, not allow
relaying by anonymous authentication. Who knows, I don't want to start
another freaking firestorm about how much I hate Microsoft, yadda, yadda. I
guess my point is that it is OBVIOUSLY an issue specifically in a lot of
small 1-50 person shops that use a single Exchange server for everything.
This is where I have come in and seen it as a problem. There are exactly the
people that don't generally have qualified IT help, thus because the default
configuration seems to allow this kind of relaying issue it is a "feature"
of the product that is adding to the overall spam problem on the Internet.
Maybe the MVP gods and Microsoft care, maybe not, but I want to be
absolutely clear that I do not care one iota, because if I did everyone
would just tell me how stupid and ignorant and a wife beater I am. So, I
don't care and please do not mistakenly believe that I care. God help us all
if an MVP reads this, thinks I care and starts another massive thread of
pointless arguing.