Ed,  thanks for your response.  Getting spams on my
exchange is a daily retual to me, however, not as much
as 4000 or more spam emails withing the hour.

Last time, when i had such a high volume of spam, we
had a look at \\exchange server\tracking.log and
figured out that one of the exchange server within the
enterprise had open for relaying. I can't remember now
how we worked it out then, but probably experienced
heaps of entries from the spamming exchange server.

Hope i am making sense.