Dear Ken Hornstein,

In message <20190426113532.4f96144...@pb-smtp21.pobox.com> you wrote:
> >I am a long-time exmh/nmh user and for some time now (a year or so),
> >some of the people I send mail with attachments to complain they don't
> >see any attached file. In these cases I verified and the attachment has
> >indeed been sent.
>
> How do you create attachments?  Are you just using sedit? (yikes!)

No, this is indeed a "feature" of Apple Mail (seen for example with
version 2.3445.102.3, but also many times before).

I have set preferences for text (over html).  In such cases this is
what I will see:

------
 (multipart/signed)
1.  (multipart/alternative)
There are alternative views of the following: (Invoke menu with right button.)
------
 (text/plain)
Message text.
------

There are no hints about attachments.

Only if I follow the hint "Invoke menu with right button." I will
get a menu:

        Decode part as MIME
        Save a multipart/alternative...
        Print a multipart/alternative as text...
        Show alternative 1: text/plain
        Show alternative 2: multipart/mixed

Selecting alternative 2 will then show all parts, in the example
here:

------
 (multipart/signed)
1.  (multipart/alternative)
There are alternative views of the following: (Invoke menu with right button.)
------
 (multipart/mixed)
1.2.1.  (text/html)
View HTML contents with netscape
. . . (Invoke menu with right button.)
------
1.2.2. <filename>.pdf (application/pdf)

 Open a application/pdf...    Save...

1.2.3.  (text/html)
View HTML contents with netscape
. . . (Invoke menu with right button.)
------
1.2.4. <other filename>.pdf (application/pdf)

 Open a application/pdf...    Save...
------
1.2.5.  (text/html)
View HTML contents with netscape
. . . (Invoke menu with right button.)
------
2. smime.p7s (application/pkcs7-signature)
This is a application/pkcs7-signature
 name = smime.p7s
 disposition = attachment
 filename = smime.p7s
------

Now I have access to all thecomponents of the mail.

When you expect an attachment, then this is not a big deal; however,
the problem is that it's easy to miss important information if you
don't expect it, as it comes indeed invisible in the default
display.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: w...@denx.de
Wisdom is one of the few things that looks bigger the further away it
is.                               - Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_