Marc Baaden <baa...@smplinux.de> writes:
> As a perfectly content long-time EXMH user, I would like to improve my
> spam handling. which is my number one pain point.
> I have spamassassin installed and it filters successfully
> a low amount of the spam. I think the spammers are just too active or
> vary their credentials too often. So I was wondering, whether in
> addition there is an easy way through exmh/nmh to add a sender to a
> list to be automatically refiled to my spam folder as well.

exmh/nmh are not really where to try to manage this.  I use procmail
with a bunch of recipes to detect spam and refile it to someplace
appropriate.  Even though said recipes have been tuned over years,
they probably only have about a 90% success rate at separating spam
from non-spam; don't expect perfection, and be wary of filing stuff
straight to /dev/null.

If you have control of your MTA's configuration, you can reject a whole
lot of stuff on the basis of DNS blacklist services.  I use both
spamhaus.org and spamcop.net, and that blocks a ridiculously large amount
of stuff, though not by any means everything.  Requiring valid reverse DNS
lookup is another very helpful technique.  I also use greylist delays,
although those delays can be very annoying in some cases, so I wouldn't
recommend it unless your spam problem is REALLY bad.

                        regards, tom lane