First, edit your /usr/src/linux/Makefile and change:
INSTALL_PATH=
INSTALL_PATH=/boot

Optional step:
ADD a new image section to lilo so you can boot the old kernel if needed:
Edit /etc/lilo.conf and add a section just like the one label=linux:

image = /boot/vmlinuz.old        <== change this part
   label = oldlinux              <== changes this part
   root = /dev/sda1              <== leave this part like other image
section

If you need to boot the old kernel, at boot time after LILO prompt, press
tab and type "oldlinux"
End of optional step.

To build a new kernel, as root, type:

cd /usr/src/linux

make menu
   OR
make menuconfig            ; easier
   OR
make xconfig               ; for using under X

Configure the options.  Because you are booting from SCSI disks, MAKE SURE
the SCSI low level drivers and SCSI disks options are part of the kernel and
NOT modules (also set the SMP options).

Then type:

make dep
make bzlilo
make modules
make modules_install

Then reboot.

You will still get unresolved symbols on some modules.  To stop this, remove
all .o files in all subdirectories under /usr/lib/2.2.14-15mdk before you
make modules_install. (They will be put back by the make modules_install
command).

Hope this helps,

Bill