Stephen Boulet wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> > I have 3 large issues with Mandrake 7.1 I need help with...
> >
> > First, how do I enable XF86 4?  I selected to install it (yes, with
> > expert installation) when it asked, but it seems that I'm running 3.3.6
> > (at least, rpm -q XFree86 reports so).  I need XF86 4 for my NVidia
> > drivers.
>
> ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 /etc/X11/X

OK, I have XFree86 4 running (after some trouble... the binaries install from
tarballs ran smoother on MDK 7.0 than letting MDK 7.1 install it itself...
sheesh).

I have several questions:

For starts, I read this is a "snapshot" release of XFree86 4.0 (on the
Mandrake website I believe).  Is this the full XF86 4.0 as on the xfre86.org
website, or a pre-release merely named 4.0 to fool us?

Second, how do I make RPM think I actually have XFree86 4.0 installed, not
3.3.6?  I have some RPM's I want installed that require XF86 4.0 (namely my
NVidia drivers and a couple beta-status games).

Third, since I'm told all of XFree86 4.0 is stored in a weird place on
MDK 7.1, am I going to have trouble with packages that try to install into
the standard /usr/X11R6 directory such as my NVidia drivers?  If so, how do I
make this frickin stupid Mandrake configuration work right?  This weird
packaging of MDK's is getting severely annoying...

Finally, should I just go ahead and screw all this and install the binaries
of XF86 4.01 from tarballs, or can I rely on Mandrake to supply some properly
setup RPMs without a bunch of weird-ass non-standard configurations for once?

Sorry for attitude, but for the last few days I've been seriously wishing
I just kept my Mandrake 7.0 installation.. MDK 7.0 was the best, and 7.1 is
really not impressing me.  Again, sorry.  I'll try and calm down a bit next
time... :)  Not your guys' fault, I know.

Sean Middleditch