I had the mandrake CD mounted via vfs from another machine.  I unmounted
properly from the nfs client and then attempted to unmount from the
server to remove the disk and received a busy message.  umount -f also
failed.  After closing/logging out, it still failed to umount.  I
eventually manually removed the CD, but it still shows mounted and
continually logging the following messages in /var/log/messages.  Cannot
see what is using the /mnt/cdrom, if anything.

Oct  3 16:30:03 Ralph kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device
ide1(22,64)
Oct  3 16:30:03 Ralph kernel: VFS: busy inodes on changed media.
Oct  3 16:30:12 Ralph kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device
ide1(22,64)

I have had this problem for a while and have removed supermount with no
improvement.  Also some months ago I swapped the cdrom and ls120 around
on ide1 (cdrom is now hdd, vice hdc.) which may be a cause, tho I dont
know how!  Is there a way to force a umount otherwise, its a reboot!

BillK