You can use a standard ISP mailbox with fetchmail (no need for a domain
name, though they can even get your domain name's mail sent to a single
mailbox) - which means your mail will always be delivered with no
errors. There is a mail server (MTA) made for offline use, see masqmail
at http://freshmeat.net.

I prefer postfix. Secure and easy to set up.

BTW. Someone here implied postfix does not store new mail in
/var/spool/mail/<username> - which is incorrect. Our mail server (mdk
7.1 w/ postfix) does that !

Buchan