Hey there.  I have a fix for your problem.

Once you have the mixer setting you want, run the following as root:

touch /etc/asound.conf
/usr/sbin/alsactl store

Now, whenever you want your old settings back, type:

/usr/sbin/alsactl restore

And, to make this automated, add the following lines to your /etc/modules.conf:

post-install snd-mixer /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
post-install snd-card-1 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
post-install snd-card-via686a /usr/sbin/alsactl restore

Hope this helps!

-- Asheesh.

--
By the yard, life is hard.