On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 02:50, you wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. I recently upgraded
> (from Cooker) to Mozilla 0.9.5, and the latest Galeon as well. Along the
> way, I als ohad to upgrade libpng from version 2 to 3.
>
> Everything seemed to go well, I was able to meet all dependencies with a
> minimum of hassle, and libpng upgraded just fine.
>
> BUT ... now, neither Mozilla not Galeon are able to renger .png images!
> If I look in /usr/lib/, I can see both libpng2 and libpng3:
>       libpng.so.2 -> libpng.so.2.1.0.12*
>       libpng.so.2.1.0.12*
>       libpng.so.3 -> libpng.so.3.1.2.0*
>       libpng.so.3.1.2.0*
>
> I assume this is correct, because there are still many apps on my
> mostly-stock 8.1 system that require libpng2.
>
> I renamed the old libpng2 libraries, and made links with the same name
> to libpng3, but that did not seem to work. In fact, Galeon would not
> even launch! So, I named the libpng2 libraries back. At this point, I am
> at a loss, not knowing enough about how shared libraries work, and
> especially using different library versions.
>
> Any help?
>
> Dave

Welcome to the world of Cooker! What you actually have to do in the case of
the libpng2 -> libpng3 shift (and many other major library upgrades, too), is
to rebuild *all* of the libpng2-dependent apps against the new libraries.

Often, this can be accomplished by simply downloading the src.rpm and issuing
an rpm -bb command, but it can get a lot trickier....

hth
--
john in syd