Brian Schroeder wrote:

> I was able to get an old Adaptec 1522 card and 2G SCSI disk a few years
> back, which I put into a pentium machine. I had all sorts of problems
> getting it to work properly. There seemed to be conflicts with the sound
> card and with the network card. None of the problems jumped out at me
> and said "here I am", most were worked out by examining the /proc files
> and by trial-and-error. I was able to get some documentation from
> Adaptec's
> web site, and spent a lot of time moving jumpers on the card.
>
> Ultimately this did get me there! At install time, Mandrake didn't auto-
> sense the card straight away, but when I told it that it was there, it
> did
> see it and picked up all the settings properly (eg. IRQ) without me
> having
> to tell it explicitly.
>
> This route may be worth you trying.
>
> Brian.
>

>> From: Robert Fargher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>> On Monday 25 February 2002 06:06, Daniel Anderson wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > After adding the alias to modules.conf and running modprobe, I get the
>> > error ,"can't locate module aha152x".The module does exist,so I
>> guess the
>> > card is not being seen.You mentioned using a different card,is there a
>> > better one that will work with this scanner,same connectors and
>> everything?

>> I've just gone through a similar situation with an AVA-1505 card. It
>> uses
>> ioport 0x340 and irq 10 (or 11, can't remember just now). Try this at
>> the
>> command line, as root:
>> modprobe aha152x io=0x340 irq=10 (try 11 if 10 doesn't work).
>>
>> On my AVA-1505 card, the above works and "lsmod" shows that the
>> module is
>> loaded. If I then do a "modprobe sr_mod", I get to use my SCSI cdrom.
>>
>> I automate the loading of the kernel modules, by putting the two
>> modprobe
>> lines as the last two lines in /etc/rc.local. That is the only way I've
>> managed to get them to work; specifically, they won't work from an
>> initrd.
>> But I'm going to try the "append="aha152x=....." route next and see what
>> happens.
>>
>> This SCSI card was not picked up by the installer for Mandrake 8.2
>> beta 2,
>> nor did the installer allow me to manually configure the card. A
>> post-install manual configuration is the only way that works.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Rob
>>
>> Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
>> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Well, no new computers are being based on ISA legacy cards or bus, so
don't expect a lot of development in that area. ISA was always pesky and
hard to detect, and manual interrupt jumpers were great for geeks and
fearsome for everyone else, and PlugNPray was about equally
unsatisfactory for everyone. The tools are there to manage the system
with some effort, but are being discontinued in newer systems (as a
general trend). For example, some boot and install kernels no longer
have modules to support the 1995/96 non-ATAPI CD drives that were
attached to ISA sound cards.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. A mature 6.1 system can serve very
nicely on those older machines with the 2.2.19 kernel and perform better
than the more modern stuff which is oriented toward more resources than
one can conveniently add to older machines. I remember 6.1 in service on
a Shuttle motherboard with two fairly large disks being the fileserver
backup and the internet gateway and the mailserver for 15 office
productivity machines running 7.0 or 7.1 for about a year without one
single second of downtime and no reboots. Needless to say, one will
learn a _lot_ more linux on 6.1 than on 8.1, and that learning is forced
if one wants to use it. Of course there is a barrier in terms of
updates, but we still produce updates for 7.2 which will generally be
adaptable to older systems with a little poking in the SRPMS to correct
for the old, non-standard directory structures.

Civileme