On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 06:29, Andy Weller wrote:
> This is driving me crazy - I just can't see what the problem is here. I
> have set gcc-2.96 as the standard with 'update-alternatives --config
> gcc', but this application still doesn't want to install correctly.
> Looking at the shell blurb (below) it looks like there is a problem with
> tar. It is annoying because this install script worked fine for 7.2,
> 8.0, 8.1 & 8.2!
>
> Any ideas/clues/help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Andy
>
> Shell Blurb:
>
> -----
>
> [root@b55-aw cdrom]# ./install-unix
>
> HALCON 6.0 for UNIX installation.
> Copyright (C) 1997-2000 MVTec Software GmbH.
> All rights reserved.
>
> It looks as though you are running Linux 2.4.
> Warning: You will need g++ version 2.95 for using the HALCON/C++
> interface!
>
> Which directory would you like to install HALCON in [/usr/local/halcon]
> /opt/halcon
> /opt/halcon does not exist.  Would you like it to be created (Y/n)? Y
>
> Installing the HALCON binaries and support files into /opt/halcon
> tar: ./lib/i586-linux2.2: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: ./flexlm/i586-linux2.2: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: ./help: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: ./include: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: ./license/license.dat: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: ./examples/hdevelop: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: No match.
> tar: ./examples/c/makefile: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: ./examples/c/make.i586-linux2.2: Cannot stat: No such file or
> directory
> tar: No match.
> tar: ./examples/cpp/makefile: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: ./examples/cpp/make.i586-linux2.2: Cannot stat: No such file or
> directory
> tar: ./examples/extension_package/halconuser/bin/i586-linux2.2: Cannot
> stat: No such file or directory
> tar: ./examples/extension_package/halconuser/lib/i586-linux2.2: Cannot
> stat: No such file or directory
> tar: ./examples/extension_package/halconuser/obj/i586-linux2.2: Cannot
> stat: No such file or directory
> tar: ./examples/extension_package/halconuser/source: Cannot stat: No
> such file or directory
> tar: ./examples/extension_package/halconuser/examples: Cannot stat: No
> <Snip>
</snip>

> > This script allows you to switch between different versions of gcc or
> > other programs linked in /etc/alternatives.
> >
> > IIANM
> > Rolf

 Someone correct me if I'm wrong please, but what it looks like is that
the tar ball is trying to create the files in /opt but the user
permissions from the person executing those commands don't permit
writing to this directory.  I've gotten this same error when trying to
do a make install as a user su'd to root ... I then type su - instead
and I can install the program...

 The other way I've seen this error is when the file it's trying to
extract is either corrupt or missing.

 3rd way I've seen it is because of a cdrom that wasn't reading
correctly due to either a dirty laser or just a mismatch between that cd
drive and the cdrom I'm using.  I had this recently when a new cdrom I
installed seemed to be just enough out of alignment that it wasn't
reading the bits correctly.  (Cd Drive went back to the supplier.
Replacement worked fine.)

James