Thank you very much for the speedy answer and help. Comments inline:

On Sunday 24 November 2002 10:00 pm, Jack Coates wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 09:50, stefmit wrote:
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > I am still struggling to identify the root cause of my wireless problems
> > (for those of you having read my recent Netgear MA401 email, you know
> > what I am talking about) - to recap: I am at the point of having to use
> > two different DHCP servers (at home and at work), with two different
> > scopes ... after having "patched" all sorts of scripts
> > (network-functions), and forced non-default drivers (orinoco_cs, vs.
> > wvlan_cs), I am still struggling with the fact that upon moving the
> > laptop from one place (i.e. DHCP server) to the other, the system
> > "remembers" the IP address from the other location, and it does not
> > consider the new scope, neither getting the proper mask or default
> > gateway.
>
> Sorry for what might be a silly question, but are you doing a service
> network reload or restart after moving into the new network, or just
> suspending at point A and resuming at point B?

It is actually after shuttiing down and transportation of equipment from
office --> home. Even after setting up a static address in the 192.168.w.v
range, a proper netmask, broadcast and gateway (at home - which is how I am
able to write this message), then - if I choose to change the settings of my
card (via mcc) to dhcp, then reboot, I get back the 172.x.y.z that I had in
the office days ago !!!

Here is what I found - pretty disturbing (as I cannot get an understanding on
why this happens): a directory /etc/dhcpc, where I found two files:
dhcpcd-eth0.info, and dhcpcd-eth0.info.old, both containing my office address
(172.x.y.z), the network it belongs to (172.x.y.0), but with the netmask of
the home network (255.255.255.0) and the broadcast of the home network
(192.168.w.255)!!! Now how is that possible?!?

Thanks again for the help ... after sending this message I will start deleting
the dhcpcd info files, and see what I get next ... and I will try to learn
how those get created ...

Stef