On Monday 25 November 2002 12:14 am, Jack Coates wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 03:28, stefmit wrote:
> > On Monday 25 November 2002 05:18 am, stefmit wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Here is what I found - pretty disturbing (as I cannot get an
> > > understanding on why this happens): a directory /etc/dhcpc, where I
> > > found two files: dhcpcd-eth0.info, and dhcpcd-eth0.info.old, both
> > > containing my office address (172.x.y.z), the network it belongs to
> > > (172.x.y.0), but with the netmask of the home network (255.255.255.0)
> > > and the broadcast of the home network (192.168.w.255)!!! Now how is
> > > that possible?!?
> > >
> > > Thanks again for the help ... after sending this message I will start
> > > deleting the dhcpcd info files, and see what I get next ... and I will
> > > try to learn how those get created ...
> > >
> > > Stef
> >
> > And an immediate follow-up: I deleted the two dhcpcd-eth0.info(.old)
> > files, while having a 192.168.w.t address, then did a service network
> > reload, and the d*** 172.x.y.z address came back!!! And a new
> > dhcpcd-eth0.info got created, again with the 172.x.y.z. address, its
> > network, but the broadcast and gateway from the proper network at home
> > (192.168.) ... can't believe this!!! Where the h*** is this 172. coming
> > from!?!
> >
> > Stef
>
> Okay, now that's freaky. Faced with this, I'd go delete all interfaces
> from MCC, remove any .old or whatever, then make new config files by
> hand and write a quick script or two to swap them around.
>
> One last thing to try before all that is watching the dhcp session with
> ethereal or tcpdump, I still think it isn't communicating with the DHCP
> server.

I did exactly that, before writing the first email - I ran ethereal directly
on the DHCP server at home - and the result was that the client was
suggesting the 172.x.y.z address, and the server had nothing against it (it
wasn't in use ... 'cause it was on another 'net, but this is something the
DHCP server wouldn't have had anything against) ...

I will probably go ahead and blow up all interfaces and even the networking
stuff ... but I would still like to dig up some more into the whole mechanism
... I still have a couple of hours left of this Monday morning, until having
to go back to work :).

Thx again for help,
Stef