Thomas K. Gamble wrote:

On Sunday 24 November 2002 10:46 pm, Larry Sword wrote:

Have you ensured that you have apmd program installed?

man apm
man apmd

apmd won't work on newer ACPI systems, and I seem to recall that ACPI support is not compiled into the kernel by default (at least not on Mandrake distributions). You could search the linux-kernel mailing lists archives (http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/) or groups.google.com for more details.

Not sure this is totally correct. True in that ACPI function is not compilied into the ML kernel, as indicated in file /boot/config. But I've tested two motherboards with acpi and the apmd program works fine with these motherboards. The motherboards used were 1. Abit KG7-Raid and 2. Abit VP6. Both systems will go into suspend and shutdown fully and correctly. I should state that the Abit VP6 will when not booting with the smp kernel as apm is turned off in this kernel as not being safe.

Larry