On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 11:12:06 -0500 Mark Weaver
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> > On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 01:25:12 -0500 Mark Weaver
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >before>>

> >from>>'find'.

> >>g,
> >>
> >>I've got one more question. The other evening I was mucking about
> >>working some kinks out of my backup script and I think I "over-filled"
> >
> >>the tape. When it got full, of course, it started returning a lot of
> >>errors to the console, and now I can't get it to run at all.
> >>
> >>When I try to run it from the command line I'm getting this returned
> >to >the console:
> >>
> >>tar: /dev/st0: Cannot open: No such device or address
> >>tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> >>tar: /dev/st0: Cannot open: No such device or address
> >>tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> >>
> >>I got to diggin around in the log files and found this:
> >>
> >>[root@mdw1982 root]# grep scsi /var/log/messages
> >>Dec 29 14:57:26 mdw1982 kudzu: aliased scsi_hostadapter as aha1542
> >>Dec 29 15:01:34 mdw1982 kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 1542
> >>Dec 29 15:01:36 mdw1982 kernel: Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0,
> >channel>
> >>0, id 1, lun 0
> >>Dec 31 00:33:02 mdw1982 kernel: Sent BUS RESET to scsi host 0
> >>Dec 31 00:33:12 mdw1982 kernel: scsi: device set offline - command
> >error>
> >>recover failed: host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0
> >>Dec 31 06:56:36 mdw1982 kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 1542
> >>Dec 31 06:56:36 mdw1982 kernel: scsi : 0 hosts left.
> >>Dec 31 06:59:36 mdw1982 kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 1542
> >>Dec 31 06:59:38 mdw1982 kernel: Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0,
> >channel>
> >>0, id 1, lun 0
> >>Dec 31 11:16:58 mdw1982 kernel: scsi: device set offline - command
> >error>
> >>recover failed: host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0
> >>
> >>I've tried reloading the module for the device, but to no avail. It
> >>appears from the log entries that it got disabled some how when the
> >>kernel received the errors from the hardware, and I haven't a clue as
> >to>
> >>how to re-enable it. I've tried rebooting the machine, but that didn't
> >
> >>help either. I'm sorta stumped here. Any ideas?
> >>
> >>thanks,
> >>
> >>Mark
> >

> > If the bus reset isn't taking, you may have to power off the device
> > for it to reset...  I've had some luck at just pulling the power
> > connector from hung scsi devices if they aren't in external boxes with
> > their own power switch; but its also easy to hang a Linux box via
> > scsi...
> >
> > HTH,
> > Pierre
>
> Hi Pierre,
>
> That thought has been nagging at the back of my mind. I was waiting to
> see if anyone confirmed it and you have. It's a shame there isn't a way
> to reset them via software. I've noticed on the one Netware machine at
> work that when there's a hardware problem with on of the scsi interfaces

The bus reset *should* have done the job; but I don't recall the h/w
details of the reset...  there may be a flaw in the code that no one has
nailed down yet...  Back on 11/11/02, I was working with my scsi scanner
and managed to lock-up Linux tighter than a heated drumskin...  clearly an
indication of a permanent status that the code synchronously loops on
without the benefit of a watchdog timer... :^P

> the only thing that helps is a powerdown and restart. Is this peculiar
> to scsi devices?
>
> Mark

Nope...  remember...  various bus devices can be setup under one OS and
assumed setup when another OS is started (most machines have an option in
the BIOS to [not] reset them...  The general issue of 'reset' is fraught
with h/w-h/w and h/w-s/w interdependencies, resulting in lots of sighs...

Pierre