Vox wrote:
This time Vox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> becomes daring and writes:

This time James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> becomes daring and writes:

ls isn't broken... at least as I read the man page. It should display
everthing in the directory as if it where a file and not expand
directorys ... if you cd to dir X it and do ls -d it returns ./   As for
coreutils.... this isn't in 9.0 or 8.2 .... Texstar has it .. but I
can't find it on my disks there ls comes from fileutils....  cooker may
also have it as well.  Behavior may have changed for it.
Ok, just tried it on a pure 9.0 box (I forgot this wasn't cooker@ :)
and I get normal results...that is, directories only.

[vox@rebeca vox]$ rpm -qf /bin/ls
fileutils-4.1.11-5mdk
[vox@rebeca vox]$ ls -d ../*
../rebeca/ ../test/ ../vox/
[vox@rebeca vox]$
So, again, WFM, don't know what the problem can be...you may want to
check out your aliases, in case something there is getting in the
way...it's the only thing that comes to mind right now.

Uhm...nevermind that...I think I know what the problem here
is...my mind wasn't in gear till now...what -d actually does is
*not* limit the listing to directories, it just tells ls to not
recurse into directories when you do an ls on * or on anything
that ends up being a dirname. So...your idea is wrong, and so was
my interpretation of it and my memory of -d :)

What you want to do would need, I think, either some grep'ing or
some find'ing, something like

find /the/dir/you/want/to/find/in/ -type d
That'll find all directories under that directory. You can then
grab the result and stick it in a var :)

Vox

Awesome! thank you Vox. I will give that a try.

Mark