On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 18:50, Toshiro wrote:

> Are you sure? Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the idea that (at least a long time
> ago :) Slackware has a somewhat different directory layout (especially below
> the /etc directory).
>
> Anyone with recent experience with Slackware can confirm this? (I haven't used
> Slackware since 1995)

You idea is dead right, especially in the context of /etc. Last time I
used Slackware, it was based on the BSD filesystem.  Red Hat/Mandrake
use what's called the System V interface definition.  In the past, the
Posix standard embraced the System V interface definition; one reason
for this was that the US government was tired of trying to make stuff
work across totally different Unix platforms, it got to be highly
inconvenient, to say the least. This inspired the US gov to adopt Posix
as a Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS).  As you can imagine
this was an inspiration for many Unix vendors to gain a sudden
partiality towards System V and Posix.

Here's a layout of a BSD filesystem:

http://www.washington.edu/R870/img/BSD-dir.gif

Layout of System V:

http://www.washington.edu/R870/img/V4-dir.gif

System V filesystems are very highly organized and use directory
structure to great advantage in categorization, which is what it's
supposed to be used for.  For instance, Sys V /etc uses subdirs to
categorize configuration and initialization files.  Sys V /dev
categorizes device files in subs also as another example.

BSD file structures *by contrast* are not very organized.  In fact BSD
is kind of annoying, if you want to know the truth about it.  One thing
that used to fry my eggs was the way everything was just dumped into
/etc; no subs.  Another was the lack of a decent comprehensive organized
system of initialization files.  I can pretty much nutshell it by saying
that the most annoying thing about BSD is that it's not System V.

> --
> Toshiro
>
> ----

--LX

P.S.  Trivia -- Richard Stallman coined the term Posix (acronym for
Portable Operating Systems Interface for Unix)

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2