Vincent Danen wrote:
On Mon Feb 03, 2003 at 07:40:27PM +1100, Ron Stodden wrote:

Interestingly, a reinstall did not fix anything, like it does with Windows 98
(but _NOT_ always) - which is a serious requirements or design problem with
the Mandrake installer.

The installer goes with the packages it's given... it doesn't install
something and go "hey wait a minute" and intelligently fix your problem
for you.
It should restore your system to the same state as when it was originally
installed, except for your customisation and data, which it and rpm knows to
leave alone. This does imply checksums or backup copies on hand of installed
unchanging files. The installer/reinstaller has access to the RPM library used
at original installation.

My point is that Win 98 does this. Plainly, or fortuitously, it was an important
requirement and goal of installer implementation. New arrivals to Mandrake
from Windows - near all of us? - expect no less, particularly when no other
solution to a randomly clobbered system is offered. Recall that the i86
architecture fails to offer hardware memory block protection that would immediately
trap any program's attempt to write-access outside its allocated or shared memory
blocks. The CDC 6600 had this implemented, so the technology is nothing new -
except to Intel. That's the major reason why i86 architecture is not "safe",
especially for multiple concurrent users, and not useable for critical missions.

It is incredible to me that this obvious requirement seems to have been totally
overlooked by Mandrake. which is more evidence that the developers just ignore
industry experience and do not appear to actually be using the product in any
user-workhorse mode.

Unless you're referring to another issue beyond the KDE
cosmetics and mozilla printing, I'm not sure why you think DrakX has
anything to do with it.
Explained above.

--
 Ron [Melbourne, Australia]
 "The problems that we have created as a result of the level of thinking