On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 07:39 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Funny stuff which I don't really understand is that in
> >
> > installer I could
> >
> > > select my radeon, and XFree86 4.3.0 with hardware
> >
> > acceleration with no prob
> >
> > > and the test would show the X screen in my chosen
> >
> > resolution and colors,
> >
> > > but after reboot X doesn't start anymore with the
> >
> > classical error that no
> >
> > > screens were found.
> > >
> > > Is anything different in the X screen showed during the
> >
> > config test in
> >
> > > installer and the way X starts normally?!?
> > > I would expect that if my hardware combination isn't
> >
> > supported, then also
> >
> > > the test inside the configuration part of the installer
> >
> > would choke too...
> >
> > > :/
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Adrian

Righty ho, time to post ....

I've come late to the thread, but not the issue - I posted not so long ago
about using the Radeon 9000 board under MDK.

Here's what partially works for me:

1.Backup your current /etc/X11/XF86-Config 4 to .org
2. Download the ATI Linux drivers
3. Install them, using --force if necessary, as per their instructions (AFAICT
this is needed to overwrite the existing libGLcore stuff)
4. Run their version of XFConfig (all as per instructions) to generate an
initial config file - don't start X Windows yet!!!
5. Munge the .org file with the new file - things like font paths, mice,
monitors etc. In fact, I ended up just using the graphics section, and
matching the screen identifier:

# Any number of graphics device sections may be present

# Standard VGA Device:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Standard VGA"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"

# The chipset line is optional in most cases.  It can be used to override
# the driver's chipset detection, and should not normally be specified.

#    Chipset     "generic"

# The Driver line must be present.  When using run-time loadable driver
# modules, this line instructs the server to load the specified driver
# module.  Even when not using loadable driver modules, this line
# indicates which driver should interpret the information in this section.

    Driver      "vga"
# The BusID line is used to specify which of possibly multiple devices
# this section is intended for.  When this line isn't present, a device
# section can only match up with the primary video device.  For PCI
# devices a line like the following could be used.  This line should not
# normally be included unless there is more than one video device
# installed.

#    BusID       "PCI:0:10:0"

#    VideoRam    256

#    Clocks      25.2 28.3

EndSection

# === ATI device section ===

Section "Device"
    Identifier                          "ATI Graphics Adapter"
    Driver                              "fglrx"
# === disable PnP Monitor  ===
    #Option                              "NoDDC"
# === disable/enable XAA/DRI ===
    Option "no_accel"                   "no"
    Option "no_dri"                     "no"
# === Fire GL DDX driver module specific settings ===
# === Screen Management ===
    Option "DesktopSetup"               "0x00000000"
    Option "Display2"                   "0"
    Option "HSync2"                     "unspecified"
    Option "VRefresh2"                  "unspecified"
    Option "GammaCorrectionI"           "0x00000000"
    Option "GammaCorrectionII"          "0x00000000"
# === OpenGL specific profiles/settings ===
    Option "Capabilities"               "0x00000000"
# === Video Overlay for the Xv extension ===
    Option "VideoOverlay"               "on"
# === OpenGL Overlay ===
# Note: When OpenGL Overlay is enabled, Video Overlay
#       will be disabled automatically
    Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "on"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"    # vendor=1002, device=496e
    Screen 0
EndSection

4. Note that I had to change the BusID above to PCI 1:0:0, as it originally
configured the Digital port (1:0:1, AFAIR) - resulting in no video

5. GLX gears is now at 1800-2000fps!!!

6. I have one remaining issue - on logout from X, the console is messed up - I
can just make out multiple repeated columns of the prompt, wishy-washied all
down the screen, like TV snow. Same when I switch to another vt.

Maybe Civileme or odd can help out here .... (Hint...)

Anyway, good luck. Let me know if you need any more help

Not sure about your nVIDIA stuff, though ...