On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Erik Evjenth wrote:

> 1. My DNS is through Zoneedit.com (to support Dynamic DNS)
>
> 2. I use "Dynamic DNS Client 5.0" to update Zoneedit.com when my IP address
> changes
>
> This all works fine, but I have not found a Linux replacement for "Dynamic
> DNS Client 5.0"

Piece o' cake. :) Run this script periodically (say, as a cron job):

=====

#!/bin/sh
#
# Script to update ZoneEdit DNS

UN="ZoneEditUserName"
PW="ZoneEditPassword"
HN="FQDN.host.name"

lynx -source -auth=$UN:$PW 'http://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?host=$HN'

=====

Edit the three variables to suit. The DN variable should be a hostname
that has an 'A' record in ZoneEdit's DNS. You'll need lynx installed too,
of course.

This will send an HTTP page request which will cause ZoneEdit's web server
to automatically determine your 'true' IP address (from the data in the
request itself), and then update ZoneEdit's DNS for the specified hostname
to point to that IP address.

HTH!

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"An opinion is like a branding iron. It is one thing to hold it, and