> a 900 MHz processor (though 512MB RAM).  I had thought of adding a
> firewire card to the new box when I buy the new camcorder.

Mine's an Athlon 1000 with 256k ram, probably not enough hardware for
video editing. I have tried cinelerra off and on with avi and mpeg
files I already have (no camcorder).

> I had planned for 512MB RAM - are you saying that's not really enough?

Well, dunno. 256 megs doesnt' seem to be enough. I think 512megs would
be enough, but you may be better off with SCSI drives. scsi is quite
expensive though.