On Saturday 18 Oct 2003 4:53 pm, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 08:38, D. R. Evans wrote:
> >
> > On 18 Oct 2003 at 10:21, Avi Schwartz wrote:
> > > I had a similar problem and no, I did not install Mozilla.  There seems
> > > to be a problem in rebuilding (or lack of) the menus in 9.2.  I found
> > > there is a program /usr/sbin/update-menus which when I ran it, it
> > > rebuilt all menus and desktop links.
> >
> > No such program on my installation.
> >
> > This is wonderful! Can anyone spell "catch-22"?
> >
> > Just how does one regenerate the start menu when the menu is so hosed
> > that you can do almost nothing?!!
> >
> > I'm amazed that this didn't happen to anyone during testing. So far, the
> > _only_ thing I did with my pristine 9.2 installation was to add Moz 1.4,
> > and this immediately bit me.
> >
> > I suppose that I can always do a complete re-install. And NOT add Moz 1.4
> > once the installation is complete :-)
> >
> >   Doc
>
> Doc,
>
>    That's because the program is in /usr/bin/  not /usr/sbin.  I think
> the original poster had a finger slip.(Like I haven't done this a few
> hundred times myself.)  To verify just type which update-menus and it
> will tell you full path.  Or better yet just type update-menus, and it
> will run. (Warning it doesn't look like anything happens, since it
> immediately returns, don't worry it runs in the background for a couple
> of minutes before the menu's reappear.)  The program that supplies this
> is menu-2.1.5-123mdk, and this is one disk 1 of your 9.2 disks.  This is
> a manditory rpm so it should be already on you disk.
>
> james

I also had the issue of my menus disappearing in 9.2 and found the problem was
a malformed menu entry in /etc/menu/menudrakeentry

If you run
update-menus -d
It will highlight any malformed lines for you

In my case the problem was a line reading
?package(menu): needs="fluxbox" icon="applications_section.png"
section="Fluxbox/Styles/" title="" charset="utf8"

The null "title" is not permitted. Just inserting some text here fixed it for
me after running update-menus again as root and as user

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net