I have been trying to get kismet, the wlan sniffer, to work with my orinoco
gold.  There are patches available for the orinoco driver that allows it to
go into monitor mode.  The thing is, all the sources indicate that the
default driver version in the 2.4.21 kernel series was orinoco 0.13b.  The
patches available are for 0.13b or later.  I check my mandrake 2.4.21 kernel
orinoco driver and it is version 0.13a.  Why is the mandrake kernel behind
the curve with regards to orinoco drivers?  I cannot get my kernel orinoco
driver patched to permit it to go into monitor mode (I need monitor mode to
try to detect a possible wireless ISP from a long distance via a parabolic
antenna).

I cannot patch the 0.13a orinoco driver with ANY available orinoco patch as
they are all for more up-to-date driver versions.  I have tried and it
totally screws up the orinoco driver.  Can anyone tell me how I could go
about upgrading my kernel pcmcia orinoco driver WITHOUT having to resort to
pcmcia-cs and rebuilding my kernel, etc?  Is there no way to upgrade the
kernel's orinoco driver and then patch it?

praedor
--
Faith is the very antithesis of reason, injudiciousness a critical component
of spiritual devotion.