Geesh.  Disable ftp at least, if you disable no other service.  If you don't
do remote X at all, disable X service as well.

Are you serving a webpage locally?  Disable http and perhaps https.

I have the following nmap output:
PORT      STATE SERVICE
22/tcp    open  ssh
25/tcp    open  smtp
631/tcp   open  ipp
1241/tcp  open  nessus
6000/tcp  open  X11
10000/tcp open  snet-sensor-mgmt

I run my own postfix mailserver for me, myself, and I.  It is not a relay (and
as others have indicated, it doesn't quite look like yours is really).

I could disable X11 and nessusd I suppose as though I do the occassional
remote X thing and sometimes use nessus against those who scan me (I like to
light up their "warning lights" if they have any such thing to let them know
that their target is on to them), it is rare.

Basically, do you actually NEED the services you are running?  Any that are
not really used/needed, turn them off.

praedor

On Thursday 06 November 2003 03:44 am, Stefan Rijnhart wrote:
> Op donderdag 6 november 2003 06:18, schreef David E. Fox:
> > Folks - especially postfix people - I need some help -
> > my box seems to have been turned into an open relay. I am
> > running the same postfix configuration file I had installed
> > when I was running 9.0 and later versions (currently I
> > am running 9.2/cooker)..
> >

> > I have not been able to post to the list or send out any
> > smtp email until I fix this.... and in the meantime have
> > simply flushed (deleted) the outgoing queue in /var/spool
> > /postfix via
> >
> >   # find . /var/spool/postfix -type -f | xargs exec rm
> >
> > which (quickly) removes it. I removed many megabytes' worth
> > of stuck email this way earlier today only to find that at
> > 9 pm there was 4 megs more waiting and my isp admin had sent
> > me a mail saying he disabled my smtp.
> >

> > I was under the impression postfix was relay proof - any
> > advice will be helpful...
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Hi David,
>
> Maybe my behaviour is a bit unmannered but I have ran some tests against
> your IP, to help you fix your box (We are talking about
> m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com, aren't we?)
>
> Your postfix says:
>
> 554 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: Relay access denied.
>
> Seems ok.
>
> Portscanner Nmap says:
>
> Port       State       Service
> 21/tcp     open        ftp
> 22/tcp     open        ssh
> 25/tcp     open        smtp
> 80/tcp     open        http
> 111/tcp    open        sunrpc
> 135/tcp    filtered    loc-srv
> 137/tcp    filtered    netbios-ns
> 138/tcp    filtered    netbios-dgm
> 139/tcp    filtered    netbios-ssn
> 443/tcp    open        https
> 445/tcp    filtered    microsoft-ds
> 631/tcp    open        ipp
> 642/tcp    open        unknown
> 6000/tcp   open        X11
>
> Do these ports corresond to the services that you want to offer? Otherwise,
> shield them off. Do you know how to work with shorewall to accomplish that?
>
> Good luck,
> Stefan.

- --
"Our ship is in the hands of pilots who are steering directly under full sail
for a rock.  The whole crew may see this course to violate our liberties in
full view if they look the right way."
- --Samuel Adams, 1771