Hi,

Yes, the files in /usr/local are from a manual install. Probably you can
remove the install using pip: sudo pip uninstall fail2ban. To avoid
messing up your ubuntu install, consider to uninstall the ubuntu package
first, then remove the manual install, then reinstall the ubuntu package
again.

Good luck,

        Tom