--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Anyone following this? It ended in a mistrial today after the jury
> could not
> reach a verdict. This is the second mistrial.
>
> I feel sorry for the guy. From what I read in the Ledger, the case
> against him is
> simply not proven. My hunch is that the girl made it up.

I have been following this in the FF ledger. Smith's X wife was a
bank teller when I lived in FF and I chatted with her frequently.
She seemed really nice to me. smith was a local insurance agent, as
i recall and his X wife quit banking to work for him for awhile. It
is hard to tell who is telling the truth in cases like these. I did
not feel it was to his advantage to admit he had gotten so drunk
that he totalled his daughter's car and could not remember it the
next day, however he does know for sure that he never molested her.
Go figure. You cannot convict a person without evidence, that does
not mean that he is innocent. Only the both of them know for sure
what happened.