--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, kaladevi93 <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <no_reply@> wrote:

> the
> tradition and

> reformator of
> describes
> described in
> samyama
> someone who

> > > Shankaracharya Vidyaranya

> > > using this triad to

> > > You don't seem to
> > >
> > > If thats the case then make us aware rather than being purposefully
> > > vague here. In the quotes above Madhusudana is particularely making
> > > references to the YS, hradly a magical tradition. AFAIK the word
> > > occures only in the context of the 3rd Chapter which is about Siddhis.
> > > There has to be a distinction to be made regarding attachment to
> > > Siddhis and their practise. You are ignoring this. Otherwise give your
> > > sources.
> > >

> > You would do better to find an authentic teacher who can explain
> such things to you as
> > you seem very confused. I cannot initiate you on a message board,
> what a crazy thing to
> > ask.
>
> I certainly didn't ask you for anything. If its all 'secret knowledge'
> stop discussing! Stop fussing around and being personal.
> >
> > Madhusadana is referring to the triad of absorptions not performing
> those absorptions on
> > the siddhi formulae (which *are* used in yogic magical traditions).
> They are not used in
> > the advaita tradition of Shankara.
>
> You are just repeating yourself, without giving the required
> reference, nor do you address the occurence of the reference given i.e
> PYS III You are just getting personal and threatening. Madhusudanas
> Bhashya is a commonly available scholastic work, so one should be able
> to discuss it relatively emotionless on a public forum. If you (or
> Vaj) don't like this, refrain from discussing here and keep your
> secrets to yourselves.
>
> > If this is what your teacher is recommending, I'd be very concerned
> about that teachers
> > worthiness to teach.
>
> See, I am not discussing my teacher, or any teacher, and I wouldn't
> listen to your judgments, as your tone suggests you are an arrogant 'I
> know it all and better than everyone' Make clear and rational
> arguments and we can talk.
>
> > IIRC the Advaitasiddhi by the same author is also against
> cultivation of siddhis!!! (I will try
> > to find a quote if I can).
>
> Good, try.
>
> > Your comments do me show the danger of naive people reading texts
> without guidance,
> > only an agenda.
>
> Talking about agendas, what do you think you have?
>
> > The truth should be your first priority, not your agenda to protect
> > dangerous practices you are attached to.
>
> The whole tone of your post is one of superiority, personal attack,
> [...]

I'm not attacking you t3inity, it just is rather obvious to me what your quote
is referring to:
the triad of absorptions (a very valuable practice indeed) but it does not
refer to their use
for siddhis. If I am missing something or you have a quote from Madhusadana
which
*does* mention using samyama on the siddhi formulae and practices, then please
post it.
Your confusing the plain practice of samyama, the triad of the three yogic
absorptions,
with the practice of samyama ON siddhi formulae (and associated practices).
There is a
difference, but it's for me to apologize for your ignorance of this fact? No,
it's for me to
point out this fact, not as any sort of fundamentalist, certainly, but from
what my
knowledge of what the teachings are.

Samyama in the yoga sutra refers to a particular practice: dharana, dhyana and
samadhi.
That term of and by itself does not specify what object that samyama is being
performed
"on". Since the prohibition on samyama *on siddhi formulae* is universal, if
indeed he is
recommending samyama it could not be on siddhis but merely as the practice
itself, which
is a practice known to obliterate karma (not create it and obscurations).