--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, kaladevi93 <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <no_reply@> wrote:

> > > And certainly not according to Madhusudana Saraswati, reformator of
> > > Shankaras order in the 16th century. He in his Gita Bashaya describes
> > > Samyama as the most effective means. And AFAIK S. is only described in
> > > PYS III pertaining to siddhis. So this whole stance against samyama
> > > being against the Shankara tradition is only hot air from someone who
> > > doesn't know.
> > >

> > If that is the case then "someone who doesn't know" would be
> Shankaracharya Vidyaranya
> > and the many others he quotes!
> >
> > Once again you are confusing the triad of yogic absorptions with
> using this triad to
> > cultivate siddhis. There is a huge difference!
> >
> > How do you think samyama is actually used in non-magical traditions?
> You don't seem to
> > be aware what that method is based on your remarks!!!
>
> If thats the case then make us aware rather than being purposefully
> vague here. In the quotes above Madhusudana is particularely making
> references to the YS, hradly a magical tradition. AFAIK the word
> occures only in the context of the 3rd Chapter which is about Siddhis.
> There has to be a distinction to be made regarding attachment to
> Siddhis and their practise. You are ignoring this. Otherwise give your
> sources.

You would do better to find an authentic teacher who can explain such things to
you as
you seem very confused. I cannot initiate you on a message board, what a crazy
thing to
ask.

Madhusadana is referring to the triad of absorptions not performing those
absorptions on
the siddhi formulae (which *are* used in yogic magical traditions). They are
not used in
the advaita tradition of Shankara.

If this is what your teacher is recommending, I'd be very concerned about that
teachers
worthiness to teach.

IIRC the Advaitasiddhi by the same author is also against cultivation of
siddhis!!! (I will try
to find a quote if I can).

Your comments do me show the danger of naive people reading texts without
guidance,
only an agenda. The truth should be your first priority, not your agenda to
protect
dangerous practices you are attached to.