> For me, no effort or will whatsoever is involved.
> The whole thing is automatic, completely
> spontaneous. *Samyama* involves effort, but not
> dhyan.

TM is Samyama! Effortless Dharana (poorly translated as
concentration), leading to Dhyana (sublime spontaneous contemplation
on the Divine), and finally Samadhi (actual merging into oneness with
the object of contemplation, pure consciousness or the Divine).

So what happens down the road Judy (advanced techniques), when the
mantra is instructed to be thought at a certain 'chakra' location?  Is
that using effort?