--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
  An atheist may be in awe, but
> basically (Unless he is a Buddhist or Taoist)he is just exploring
> a kind of a metaphysical study. So he may be in awe, yes. But he
> cannot LOVE reality as such, and he cannot develop a passion about
> it.

Boy, Michael, I don't think that's true. Some of
the most passionate expressions of love for
reality-as-such that I've ever encountered have
come from atheists.

One of my favorite passages is from the end of
atheist physicist Heinz Pagels's "Cosmic Code,"
a book for the general reader about physics and
quantum mechanics:

"Science is not the enemy of humanity but one of the deepest
expressions of the human desire to realize that vision of infinite
knowledge. Science shows us that the visible world is neither matter
nor spirit; the visible world is the invisible organization of
energy. I do not know what the future sentences of the cosmic code
will be. But it seems certain that the recent human contact with the
invisible world of quanta and the vastness of the cosmos will shape
the destiny of our species or whatever we may become.

"I used to climb mountains in snow and ice, hanging onto the sides of
great rocks. I was describing one of my adventures to an older friend
once, and when I had finished he asked me, 'Why do you want to kill
yourself?' I protested. I told him that the rewards I wanted were of
sight, of pleasure, of the thrill of pitting my body and my skills
against nature. My friend replied, 'When you are as old as I am you
will see that you are trying to kill yourself.'

"I often dream about falling. Such dreams are commonplace to the
ambitious or those who climb mountains. I dreamed I was clutching at
the face of a rock but it did not hold. Gravel gave way. I grasped
for a shrub, but it pulled loose, and in cold terror I fell into the
abyss. Suddenly I realized that my fall was relative; there was no
bottom and no end. A feeling of pleasure overcame me. I realized that
what I embody, the principle of life, cannot be destroyed. It is
written into the cosmic code, the order of the universe. As I
continued to fall in the dark void, embraced by the vault of the
heavens, I sang to the beauty of the stars and made my peace with the
darkness."

I don't think it gets much more passionate
than that.

There is a huge tragic irony in the last two
paragraphs, however. Not long after this was
written, Pagels died in a fall while mountain
climbing. Not only does that make the dream
rather eerie, but even more so the paragraph
above it about mountain climbing involving a
subconscious death wish.

It's almost as if Pagels had become impatient
with human progress toward the "infinite
knowledge" he refers to in the first paragraph,
and his subconscious mind had prodded him to
"let go" of the struggle to climb the mountains
of ignorance and instead experience directly his
oneness with the order of the universe.