--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Behalf Of authfriend
> Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 11:42 AM
> To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Who is "in control" of our lives?
>

> Note once again the astounding *moral equivalence*
> inherent in Rick's vacuuous little speculation:
> between a hypocritical phony completely lacking in
> any scruples about fairness and honesty, and the
> person who is calling attention to his behavior--
> neither, in Rick's mind, apparently more deserving
> of criticism or judgment than the other (although
> what criticism there is typically is directed at
> me).
>
> Say, why don't we all relax and allow the Bushies
> to be what they are without criticism or
> judgment? And Al Qaeda too, while we're at it?
>
> How about we relax and allow Maharishi be what
> he is without criticism or judgment? Or Bevan?
> Or Sai Baba or Sri Chinmoy or Muktananda?
>
> Let's just ignore all ethical lapses lest we
> get in the way of our own precious enlightenment.
> Yeah, that's the ticket.
>
> You make good points and I was making a "vacuuous little
> speculation," but it may still be somewhat valid. I think
> the more adamant and "black and white" we tend to be in our
> judgments, including those of Bush, Al Qaeda, etc., the
> more locked into a narrow individual perspective and closed
> to the nuanced nature of reality we tend to be. Can you
> admit that Barry possesses many qualities you appreciate,
> because I'll bet he does, and vice versa.

He has many *potential* good qualities; I've
said that many times. He isn't an "evil" person,
he's someone who is deeply fearful that who he
really is isn't acceptable. This fear is what
generates all the ugliness and almost completely
suppresses the good stuff.

He's talked himself into believing he really is
who he presents himself to be, but the strain of
maintaining that phony act shows more and more
the older he gets.