<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > "Any more exactitude to the answer, especially down to a
> > yes/no is too much ensconced in a materialistic worldview.
> > The rarity of siddhis makes them more mysterious, it's the
> > loving intimacy that matters most, devotion."
>
> When it comes to demonstrating sidhis, yes/no is the ONLY
> criteria that matter.

I would agree. It's *exactly* the same scenario
as Off bragging about how Shotokan karate guys
are "the best" and could kick anyone else's ass.
Empty, self-important rhetoric until they actually
DO kick some ass. As Cuba Gooding might say, "Show
me the money!" Show us the levitation, don't talk
about it and theorize about it.

> And it matters even more if a professional magician is
> in the room cuz they can smell the bullshit that Buddha
> only dreamed of.

Again, I'd be the first to agree. It would be good
to hear a professional magician try to explain away
some of the levitation I saw the Rama guy do, because
it often took place "on the fly," in circumstances
where "apparatus" didn't seem a possibility. I mean,
we've hiked out into the desert for three hours,
and the guy is wearing nothing more than shorts
and a T-shirt and hiking boots, carrying nothing,
and he just stops in the middle of an open space
with nothing around him that could even be *used*
as "apparatus" (the nearest trees or cliffs from
which to string wires were half a mile away). And
yet the dude just steps up off the sand and walks
around for a few minutes, a foot above the ground.

Or in a Denny's at 3 a.m., deserted except for him
and a few of his students and one waitress. Rama
didn't even *choose* the Denny's in question; I did,
because I was driving us back from somewhere and
needed some coffee. So the waitress gives us all
our coffee and then asks if we need anything more,
and when we say no she ducks out the front door and
goes around to the side of the building, out of
sight, to smoke a cigarette. Rama grins at us and
just lifts up off the genuine naugahyde of the
Denny's booth and hangs there in mid-air for a
few seconds, sipping his coffee. Everybody cracks
up and laughs, which was probably the point of the
stunt.

Curtis, I'm *more* than open to suggestions from
you or anyone else as to how these things could
have been "staged" by a magician. I don't see that
as being a relevant option when trying to "explain
away" this particular guy's levitations.

The idea of being somehow "hypnotized" into seeing
these things might be more relevant, except that
over the years, almost *none* of the instances of
siddhis I and other people saw were "suggested" or
"announced" ahead of time. It was as if the guy
was purposefully *avoiding* anything that could
later be regarded as suggestion. He'd just DO them,
sometimes in the middle of a sentence, to catch
everyone by surprise.

So have at it, dude. I wish you'd been there in
the desert at the time, and could bring your know-
ledge of stage magic to the table. I have *tried*
over the years -- Lord knows I've tried -- to come
up with some way to rationalize these experiences
away and write them off to some trick, and damnit
I can't. They -- WHATEVER they were -- happened,
and I'm stuck with having seen them.

Believe me, that is FAR scarier and harder to live
with than being able to explain them away as some
kind of trick or hallucination.

  • ... TurquoiseB
    • ... t3rinity
    • ... t3rinity
    • ... mainstream20016
      • ... cardemaister
    • ... mainstream20016
    • ... Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You Think -- Really! -- It's A No-Brainer. Who'd've Thunk It?
      • ... curtisdeltablues
        • ... TurquoiseB
          • ... curtisdeltablues
            • ... TurquoiseB
              • ... curtisdeltablues
            • ... lurkernomore20002000
              • ... Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You Think -- Really! -- It's A No-Brainer. Who'd've Thunk It?
                • ... tertonzeno
              • ... TurquoiseB