I appreciate this awareness of context, translation, etc. and I agree
that so much depends on context, and the times. Trying to be "good"
means exactly what in what context? Not making noise when your Dad is
asleep? Can being "good" mean flying an airplane into a building for
God? To some people, yes.

Something I got in CCD class long ago: "If you want to go to the
school dance and your father says no, GOD SAID NO!" Unfortunately,
this is how the do's and don'ts of religion and spirituality come
across to me, including the new-age ones such as those taught in
Buddhism, and yoga.

Patanjali's teachings come from ancient times and contain usual
oppressive misunderstandings about humanity. The oppression of the
female/feminine I consider to be one of the worst mistakes of humanity
and religion. Though practice of physical hathayoga can be fantastic
for balancing life energies, including those that comprise what are
called "masculine/male," and "feminine/female," there is still a
social/societal/supported by religion-based preference for a certain
kind of "balance" that is not balance at all, but is still an
oppression of the female/feminine.

I think I understand the value of not "practicing" either. I have felt
annoyed by the concept of "practicing nonviolence" because some of the
people whose behavior has been cited to as phenomenally "nonviolent"
comes from people who aren't steeped in an eastern philosophical
concept nor dedicated to "nonviolence" as a movement, but who are
simply acting from their hearts with all of the strength of their
convictions and dedication to freedom and survival, such as Harriet
Tubman.

I also agree that doing the activities of yoga, meditation, eating
right, exercising, etc. help create an environment conducive to
health and happiness. Yet, sometimes, humans may still become grumpy:

Weather. Sometimes overcast.
Sometimes rain. Sometimes
the sun shines. It's just weather.

(That's my little Haiku for the day :)

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for posting this because it has helped crystallize some
> > insights. Even though we may be ending up at quite opposite, or at
> > least distance, shores from on another.
> >
> > Four points that crystallized: