In a message dated 1/6/08 8:53:02 A.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Uh, no,  he made no accusation. But he shouldn't
> have said it,
>
> It was an indirect accusation. It planted the idea in peoples
>  minds,

Yes, it raised the issue of possible drug-dealing
(as noted,  it was already widely known that Obama
had taken drugs when he was younger  because he
himself had revealed it in his book, and it had been
a hot  topic of discussion in the media).

As I noted, he shouldn't have even  mentioned it.

just as
> having Bob Kerry speaking about Obama's  great Muslim roots
> was to plant an image in peoples minds,

The  image had already been planted in people's minds
by the right-wing rumors.  What Kerrey was attempting
to do was to point out that any connection Obama  had
with Islam was a positive rather than a negative.

and it was a  Hillary campaign advisor doing it and
> tried to mask it by saying the  republicans could accuse him
> of this later. Like a good campaign  worker , Billy Sheehan
> fell on his sword for the Hillmeister after the  damage had
> been done.

I don't think either man was following  direction
from the Clinton campaign. I think Kerrey's motive
was  entirely benign; and I'm not entirely sure that
Sheehan was doing anything  but warning of what the
Republicans were likely to do if Obama  were
nominated. It's the sort of thing campaigns and
political mavens  speculate about among themselves
in trying to anticipate their opponents'  moves, but
it shouldn't have been mentioned publicly.

The point is  nobody in the Republican Party had
> ever mentioned this.

Not so  far, no. But there's no reason to think
the same people spreading the  Obama-is-a-Muslim
rumors will be any more scrupulous about the  drug-
dealer idea, especially if Obama wins the
nomination.

By  the way it is another Clinton ploy to attack the
> bearer of bad news.  If Novak lacked any credibility he wouldn't
> be published in any major  news papers and called as a witness
> to testify in  investigations.

Oh, please. Novak has been running on his  reputation
for awhile now, but he lost his investigative edge
and his  ability to evaluate the reliability of his
sources quite some time  ago.

Bob Kerrey's comments were meant to fan the flames that were already there,
just get it out in the media about Obama's Muslim roots! Repeat it enough to
make people talk about it. Talk about "drug dealing" and "slush funds." Judy,
nobody cares what you think when it come to defending the Clintons. They are
indefensible! This is part of the change that Obama is preaching about. Obama
 has tried his best to run a positive campaign but it's the Clinton machine
that  keeps up the personal attacks  against him and tries to mask them so she
can blame the  "vast right wing conspiracy" against her. The Republican
Party doesn't have to do a damned thing, Hillary is doing a far better job of
attacking Obama than they could ever do.