[I wrote:]
> And if  it weren't for the terrorist threat,
> > it might even have been possible  for an
> > otherwise suitable Muslim to run.
>
> For some reason this reminds me of the Dubai ports deal.
> Remember the Xenophobia exhibited from both sides of the
> isle at the thought of the  UAE's buying port rights in
> the US?

And if it weren't for the terrorist threat, the
objections would have been unlikely to be so
vociferous. The extreme xenophobia about Muslims
is unfortunate but understandable in light of
the terrorist threat.

> Obama is a suitable candidate, but  will be
> ultimately rejected because of his leftist standing on issues
> and naivety, not because of his name , religion or the fact he
> is black. Of  course little things like refusing to wear an
> American flag lapel pen , like  other senators do, and
> refusing to stand up straight and place his hand over his
> heart when the National Anthem is played don't help his image
> at all. It really  make him look way to the left.

Among the small-minded, yes, it doesn't help his
image. And among the small-minded and grossly
ignorant, it probably does make him look "way to
the left."

Here's what Obama has said about the flag pin:

"Somebody noticed I wasn't wearing a flag lapel pin and I told
folks, well you know what? I haven't probably worn that pin in
a very long time. I wore it right after 9/11. But after a while,
you start noticing people wearing a lapel pin, but not acting
very patriotic. Not voting to provide veterans with resources
that they need. Not voting to make sure that disability
payments were coming out on time.

"My attitude is that I'm less concerned about what you're wearing
on your lapel than what's in your heart. And you show your
patriotism by how you treat your fellow Americans, especially
those who served. You show your patriotism by being true to our
values and our ideals and that's what we have to lead with is our
values and our ideals."

Hmm. I don't believe it was "the left" that didn't
want to provide veterans with the resources they
need or to make sure that disability payments were
coming out on time.

And boy, all that talk about patriotism sure pegs
him as a leftist, don't it?

As to putting his hand over his heart during the
National Anthem, that's based on one photograph
(in which he's standing perfectly straight). There
are others in which he does have his hand over his
heart.

His spokesman has said: "Sometimes he does [put his
hand over his heart], sometimes he doesn't. In no
way was he making any sort of statement, and any
suggestion to the contrary is ridiculous."

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp

But this is the sort of thing the right-wingers keep
in their repertoire of slurs.