On Jan 24, 2008, at 7:42 PM, The Secret wrote:

> The Uniqueness Lie: Exposing the Lies of TM research, one at a time.
>
> The uniqueness lie and the hypometabolic lie.
>
> Question: Does TM, as is still touted in TM tracts, produce a
> "hypometabolic" state, i.e a 16% drop in oxygen consumption?
>
> Answer: No.
>
> 3 groups of 9 TM meditators were studied to see if the claim of 16%
> decrease in oxygen consumption could be replicated. The sample
> included both males and females and novice as well as long-term TMers.
>
> Researchers found TM did not produce Wallace's claims of -16% O2
> consumption. Researchers Pagano and Warrenburg instead found the
> following:
>
> "As one reviews the data...the outstanding features are the similarity > of and relatively small changes in VO2 which occurred during practice > of TM...The 4% decrease in VO2 found during treatment for the TM group
> is considerably less than Wallace's reported 16% decrease and calls
> into question his claim that the state produced by TM is
> "hypometabolic".
>
> Meditation: In Search of a Unique Effect. Robert R. Pagano and Stephen
> Warrenburg.

But the idiom of today is science. So since we can't tie them up and
flog them like the missionaries did until they embraced TM, woo them
with badly controlled studies which demonstrate, not double blind
random control group studies which prove. They'll never know the
difference. And it's cheaper and we get more amazing results.

Actually the researchers in this case feel they know how the TMO flubbed the data.

Any guesses what they came up with?