Although I am sure this will be hard to relate to for some...

I got a lot of peace from the article in the Skeptical Inquirer in 89
or 90 that compared these personality traits with popular gurus.  I
know this seemed horrible to people who may view him as a "real"
messiah, but for me it gave me some insight for compassion for
Maharishi.  It helped me understand how he operated the way he did,
and even the odd feeling he would give off when I interacted with him.
 It explained how he could use and discard people as he unfolded his
"mission."  I don't see this as a putdown.  It is an alternate
explanation to the idea that he proposed that he was the most
important human in history.  Why would someone believe such a thing
about themselves?  Either he was or he was not, but it requires an
explanation.  At least it did for me.  So for me he remains a
fascinating guy with or without this disorder.

One piece of evidence I submit that perhaps he was mislead about the
power of his teaching are the closest people to him that he left
behind, presumably his most advanced pupils.  I think we have a pretty
good idea that his optimism about his programs exceeded his results.

Or is that just me being negative on King Tony and Bevan?