I am not a student of Afrocentrism, nor am I expert in
the mainstream history of the slave trade on this
planet.  That said, however, there are several red
flags that go up for me in reading the piece "Moral
Stains: Slavery and Reality."

1.  The two paragraphs preceding the last one
blatantly ignore white complicity in Africa's plight.

2.  It may seem like a small thing, but one does
expect a scholar to know the difference between the
words "sighted" and "cited."  This author uses
"sighted" when he means "cited."

3.  The documentation is a bit shoddy throughout.

4.  It is fact, not fiction, that the African point of
view has been given short shrift in main stream
historical studies.

There are more issues one could raise, but these are
sufficient to alert an alert reader that the point of
view in this piece is far balanced.  This is not to
say, of course, that Afrocentrism is not without
serious problems and flaws.

--- Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On May 2, 2008, at 7:59 AM, off_world_beings wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
> "shempmcgurk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Am I the only one on this forum that is offended
> when the n-word is
> >> used?>>
> >
> > Are you offended because it stems from a French
> word for 'black' that
> > your forefathers used. Your forefathers, who chose
> to fight, at all
> > costs, to be able to keep their slaves, at a time
> when they were
> > completely aware that Britain was having
> successful court cases
> > outlawing slavery on British soil?
> >
> > That is not "offense" you have sir, that is guilt.
>
> Shemp is from Canada.
>
>  From the post earlier this week on Obama's
> Afrocentric roots.
>

> MORAL STAINS: SLAVERY AND REALITY
>
> If there is one subject which vexes the
> Afrocentrists, it is slavery.
> Since it provides the fuel for their wrathful
> approach to history,
> they understandably have tunnel-vision on the
> subject. What they see
> at the other end of their tunnel is Western culture,
> which they blame
> for the institution of slavery and the subsequent
> degradation it
> brought to blacks. Afrocentrists never acknowledge
> the fact that
> slavery was a universal institution in ancient times
> since such
> acknowledgment would lessen the victim status of
> blacks in America.
> (The virtual slavery of serfs in places such as
> Russia and England is
> quietly ignored, even though the term slave came
> from the word Slavic.)
>
> Having adopted a position of selective amnesia,
> Afrocentrists
> conclude that a culture responsible for an
> institution as heinous as
> slavery is morally corrupt, and that all political
> systems which
> sprang from it are irredeemable. Blacks, they
> conclude, should turn
> elsewhere for political inspiration and moral
> nurturing. Often they
> turn to the third world and to Islam, as the former
> is free from
> contamination by Western ways and the latter is
> associated with
> Africa, and thus perceived as free from the moral
> stain of slavery.
> The fact that throwing away Western principles
> undermines the
> political platform they speak from doesn’t seem to
> register with
> them. The methods of protest blacks have occasioned
> to use in seeking
> redress are not African principles – they are
> solidly Western in
> origin. But this matters not to the
> multiculturalists and the
> Afrocentrists, whose critical faculties seem to be
> in suspension
> [...]
=== message truncated ===