--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[SNIP]
> That Awareness is expressed in the lifes of all in infinite ways is
of
> little surprise. However, what I was seeking to confirm (or refute if
> there is no confirmation -- same process) is that there is some
> commonality to the so called experience of so called awakening. As a
> rough analogy, while all humans are unique and different, there are
> are core features of commonality that allow them to be classified as
> homo-sapiens.
[SNIP TO END]

***
I like to think that there is one underlying reality that all forms
and expressions of enlightenment take part in. That may be asking too
much, but I'd like to take it as a starting point. Then, the question
arises, within that reality, how much room is there for variation of
experience that could meaningfully be called "awakened"
or "enlightened"?

Some differences may be accounted for by people being at
various "stages". Thus, for example, you could have some speak of the
world of change as unreal. While this sounds like a fairly advanced
perception, it may be a reflection of the Self/Non-Self duality that
M. associates with CC. Others might speak of the world of change as
utterly real, and seamlessly connected to the unchanging, which sounds
more like a UC perception.

One confounding factor brought out in various autobiographical
accounts is that "awakened" states may be experienced at first
as "ultimate" because they all have some quality of unboundedness,
infinity, immortality about them; whereas, it is only in retrospect
that they may be recognized as transitional states moving on to
more "awakenings".

But all of this presupposes that there is one more or less general
outcome (with many minor variations) for everyone who is destined
to "awaken". That could be a false assumption.

If we take it that advanced practitioners of many spiritual traditions
have "attained" to the states that they define as awakened, how are we
to account for the variances in description? Is some of this just a
problem of trying to describe the ineffable? Would all of these people
agree with each other about their states (if not their descriptions of
them) if they sat down and talked to each other, as Dr. Pete has
suggested? Or are there possibly fundamentally different "realized"
states? For example, could it be that the Hindus experience "Self-
realization" while Buddhists speak of there being no Self (big S or
little), because these are different experiences of the underlying
truth?

I ran across an example of this the other day. I read a book by Ted
Strauss, who used to be a TM teacher and now teaches with the Waking
Down people. He describes two different states which he claims are at
the same "level" of realization, but are experienced quite
differently. These are CC-like experiences. He claims to have had
both. The first he calls something like "disembodied witness
consciousness" and the second he calls something like "embodied
witness consciousness". He considers the former to be what has
traditionally been understood to be "Self-realization" and the latter
to be much more rare. While he says that the two are equivalent as a
realization of the Self as unbounded and uninvolved in any and all
activity, he considers the latter to be superior, and the speciality
of the Waking Down approach (naturally he considers it superior, since
he is part of that "tradition"). I actually don't know what he is
talking about, but found the concepts interesting. Is there anyone on
FFL who has enough experience of Waking Down to comment on this?