> bob_brigante wrote:
> > **************
> >
> > I did not mean to imply that it is not a disaster for the innocent
> > victims of war in Georgia, only that it could not be a "major
> > international issue" that you fear because nobody gives a shit what
> > happens to Georgians and even if they did, nobody could face down
> > Russian power in that locale, not any more than they could after
> > years of war in Chechnya, which borders Georgia (
> > http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/Chechnya.asp ).
> >
> > If you want to contemplate once again the ugly face of war, here's
> > some pathetic photos of this current stupid human trick:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/5pz4c6
> >
> > from:
> > http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/08/11/world/20080811GEORGIA_2.ht
> > ml
> Some people in the US think that Russia attacked Georgia for its
peaches.

Worse, the warmongers have jumped on the band wagon:

McCain calls for U.N. resolution against Russia.

Speaking in Erie, PA today, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) called for the
U.N. Security Council to "move ahead with the resolution" calling for
a cease-fire and condemning Russia's aggression against Georgia.
McCain also said that NATO should begin "discussions on both the
deployment of an international peacekeeping force to South Ossetia and
the implications for NATO's future relationship with Russia, a
Partnership for Peace nation."

In the past, McCain has also threatened to kick Russia out of the G-8.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/08/11/mccain-calls-for-un-resolution-against-russia/

McCain Bonkers on Georgia

For John McCain, the problem isn't coherence, it's bellicosity.

McCain has been the strongest global voice behind Georgia since the
shooting began. The problem is, when does the McCain tough rhetoric
end and World War III begin?  The McCain team will argue that the only
way to deter Russia, Iran and other global aggressors from taking
actions like this is to stand up to them forcefully, with credibility.

The problem is the second half of that equation -- with U.S. troops in
Iraq and even Georgia unsure how to get their 2,000 Iraqi troops back
home in time to make a difference, how exactly would the U.S. help
Georgia in this conflict, short of starting an all-out war with the
second biggest nuclear power?

At this moment, the U.S. has no credible way to threaten Russia.  So
unless McCain is willing to get the U.S. in the middle of every armed
conflict on earth -- giving new definition to his promise of "more
wars" -- a McCain Presidency would mean that we're at least going to
enter a new age of foreign policy brinkmanship that will demand a
military sufficient to fight these battles.  That means either getting
out of Iraq or reinstating a draft, because the military today is
incapable of matching McCain's rhetoric.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2008/08/10/crisis_in_georgia.html

Wingnut on Russian attack of Republic of Georgia:

What we'll think of is the country of Georgia and we'll realize that
August 8 was the date when Russia began reassembling the former Soviet
empire in earnest. ~Roger Kimball http://tinyurl.com/6dllgp

Response from Daniel Larison  at American Conservative Magazine:

Yes, just as Iran is poised to revive the Achaemenid Empire! [LOL]

It's not just that I find the charges of Russian imperialism a bit
tired coming from people who have insisted for years that invading
other countries, toppling their governments and setting up puppet
states is not imperialism, but I find them very boring. I mean, how
unimaginative can one be to say, "They're bringing back the Soviet
Union!"? That's the sort of thing an eccentric Bond villain would try
to do.

There are no more workers' councils, and there is no more USSR. In
every sense of the word, the Soviets are gone and their empire is
dust. No one–not Putin, not Medvedev, not anyone–is bringing it back
as it once existed.

Now if Kimball had said that Moscow is trying to reassemble parts of
the pre-revolutionary Russian Empire, at least in terms of its
territorial dimensions, I would still say that he is grossly
exaggerating what's going on, but at least he wouldn't be embarrassing
himself by saying completely nonsensical things.

http://www.amconmag.com/larison/2008/08/09/do-these-people-even-know-what-soviet-means/

You can see the extremely bellicose statements of Vice President
Cheney and Sen. McCain (soul mates on this issue) on the conflict in
Georgia. And a number of Democratic-affiliated foreign policy hands
are roughly on the same side of this issue, if not quite as utterly
nuts and eager to get into a war with Russia as Cheney and McCain. [...]

As the standard line goes, my point is not to justify Russian actions.
And I should be clear that I have not researched the details of this
conflict nearly as deeply as I would now like to.

But we should be clear that there are small state actors in the region
(Georgia being one of them) interested in making high stakes gambles
vis a vis the Russians and they are trying to do it on our dime --
that is, both literally on our dime but more importantly by trying to
involve us militarily in their defense.

Meanwhile, there are players (largely, though not perfectly,
overlapping with the folks who got us into Iraq) in the US who want to
use this period of relative (though diminishing) Russian weakness to
push American security guarantees (primarily NATO) not just to the
borders of the old Soviet Union (which we've largely already done) but
actually within the borders of the old Soviet Union.

John McCain has been a supporter of inducting Georgia into NATO. And
it is worth noting that had we done that we would currently be in
effect in a state of war with Russia since we would be obligated to
see the treat the attack on Georgia as an attack on us. Indeed, McCain
is saying now we should move ahead quickly and bring them into NATO.

~~  Josh Marshall:  http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/207897.php

-NEOCONS Call For U.S. To Launch War With Russia

Today the New York Times reports that Russia is escalating its war
with Georgia, "moving tanks and troops through the separatist enclave
of South Ossetia and advancing toward the city of Gori in central
Georgia" and even bombing parts of Tibilisi, the Georgian capital.

Russia's increasing aggression is putting a spark into American
neoconservatives. Today on the Times op-ed page, one of their leaders,
William Kristol, claims the U.S. must "defend" Georgia's sovereignty
as a reward for its participation in Iraq, while the conservative
Washington Times is calling for "maximum pressure" on Russia:

    Bill Kristol: [Georgia] has had the third-largest military
presence — about 2,000 troops — fighting along with U.S. soldiers and
marines in Iraq. For this reason alone, we owe Georgia a serious
effort to defend its sovereignty. Surely we cannot simply stand by as
an autocratic aggressor gobbles up part of — and perhaps destabilizes
all of — a friendly democratic nation.

    Washington Times: It is in America's interest to exert maximum
pressure on Russia to withdraw its troops and halt the interference in
Georgian territory. This latest act shows the need for greater resolve
in establishing a European security system that can be an effective
check on Russian power.

Writing in the Washington Post today, Robert Kagan goes even further,
suggesting that the Georgia-Russia conflict may be the start of World
War III:

    Do you recall the precise details of the Sudeten Crisis that led
to Nazi Germany's invasion of Czechoslovakia? Of course not, because
that morally ambiguous dispute is rightly remembered as a minor part
of a much bigger drama. […]

    The mood is reminiscent of Germany after World War I, when Germans
complained about the "shameful Versailles diktat" imposed on a
prostrate Germany by the victorious powers and about the corrupt
politicians who stabbed the nation in the back.

Like a good neoconservative, Kagan also links the Western response to
the conflict and its wider policy towards Russia as "appeasement."

Matthew Yglesias asks of Kagan's World War II analogy: "If we launch a
war with Russia — which would seem to be the point of busting out the
analogy — then how are we going to find the time to launch wars with
Iran and China?"

All links here: http://thinkprogress.org/2008/08/11/neocon-russia-war/