From: TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: commitment belief trust and adveristy
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, August 25, 2008, 8:34 AM

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In the 1950's, a few people in India helped Maharishi a lot
> when he was struggling financially.
>
> Later on when Maharishi copyrighted the TM and started getting
> millions of dollars, he ignored them completely.!!  He never
> even acknowledged those who helped him go to the west and
> establish himself financialy secure.
>
> Both Deepak Chopra's father and Chopra helped Maharishi a lot
> and yet in the end he kicked Chopra out.!!
>
> Perhaps both Bill Gates and Maharishi have something in common.

Exactly.

I know that this thread was supposed to be a kind
of "pity party" for Louis and all he's been through,
and that we were supposed to express our compassion
and our admiration of him "sticking to his principles"
throughout it all.

Ok, I *do* feel compassion for his hard times. And on
some level I feel some admiration for him "sticking to
his principles." I just couldn't help noticing that
those principles don't seem to involve repaying the
people who loaned him money or invested in his busi-
ness ideas in the first place. The principles are more
about "sticking to the purity of his vision."

Well, I'm sorry, but I just don't respect that as much
as TMers and other "spiritual" people seem to. And the
reason is that over the years I've loaned money to a
*lot* of people, *none* of whom ever repaid a dime of
it. None of them ever *thought* of repaying a dime of
it. They used it to pay for their courses, or their
rent, or their business schemes that never worked out,
or in one case, their women.

And they thought of all of these things they spent the
money on as an integral part of their spiritual sadhana,
and thus somehow "off the books." The general attitude
was that if it helps them pursue enlightenment (or what-
ever their *personal* goals were), these are not "debts"
that need to be respected but money flowing in from the
universe -- an expression of "support of nature."

Excuuuuuse me, but the money flowing in was an expres-
sion of a friend trying to help them, a friend who did
not have that much money in the first place, and had to
do without a few things himself f*in order to* help
them out.

Not a penny ever got repaid.

And not *one* of them ever felt bad about it.

I think there is something *wrong* with this. I think
that it's wrong when some meditator bums money to pay
his rent because he's too "evolved" to work, and I
think there is something wrong with it when someone
meditator comes up with a get rich quick scheme and
winds up defrauding a number of his meditating friends
when the scheme goes belly up.

Louis may NOT have had anything like this in mind; the
whole problem may be that he wrote what he did without
clarifying the details of these people who "backed"
him who are now so unevolved as to want their money
back. It could be a simple failure of language, and
I may be up on my soapbox without cause. If so, I
apologize in advance.

But the whole schtick in this post was "principle,"
and I for one couldn't help but notice that the one
principle that kept getting ignored was *paying back*
the people who invested money.

If it had been me, I would have gone wherever I could
have found work and paid back every penny. *Then* I
would have started over on some new plan. That's my
definition of commitment, belief, trust, and how to
deal with adversity.

You can call me "non-spiritual" for feeling this way
if you want, but that's how I feel. Principle is not
found in the glorious plans one talks about or pitches
to others, but in what one DOES when those plans some-
times don't work out.