Excellent article above with some very apt insights, many of which
maybe throw light onto why the "French system" suffers its
inefficiencies. After all, the question initially raised was not
about British food. It was about the apparent unfairness of the
percentage of agricultural subsidies that disappear into an arguably
inefficient French agricultural system, and this is what needs to be
addressed.

Too often the threads in this board, though initially excellent,
seem to go off course.

Incidentally, the UK is one of the leading countries in awareness of
the dangers of GM foods, and one of the major consumers of Organics.

If I can add my two penneth here to the UK food diversion - UK
food..well yes, that is an emotive issue, and not surprisingly
results in a somewhat bristly response from Chandashari.

Uk food has never shone, the whole eating culture has never been a
British forte historically. UK "food-awareness" has changed
dramatically in the past ten years or so. Cookery programmes abound
on UK TV. There is a plethora of excellent restaurants in most
British towns.

Having said that, it must be added that these are for the most part
restaurants serving French, Italian, Spanish, Indian, Chinese, -you
name a country - food. Very few revelling in British food, if that
is not an oxymoron.

When visiting friends in France, Belgium or Austria the phrase "Bon
Apetit" or "Guten Apetite" is often heard before a meal. I have been
asked "What is the English wish given before a meal?" I have to say
that we have no such readily given expression. For a laugh I
sometimes say that in the UK we say "Bon Chance"