--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Louis McKenzie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> WOO HOO!  This is very well stated. I deal with older white
> people everyday. In my business I have invested what I consider
> to be a large amount of money. My money(the money I was able to
> raise and invest) allowed for things to able to be done, in order
> to fund various projects. Yet there are people who feel that at
> 51 I am a good boy and they have the right to take my funds
> because I am too _______ to know what to do with them. Also I
> would not be getting anything if it had not been for them.
> Because BOYs dont have these opportunities without good white
> uncles.
>
> I was ok with it till the guy yelled at me on the phone in a way
> that let me understand that he really believed that shit.

It is probably impossible for someone who is white
(like me) to identify with this level of ignorance
and racism. I was the kid of an Air Force officer,
and normally would have been living on the base
there in Georgia, side by side with kids of black
and white servicemen, but my mother had
inherited some money from her father when he died,
so she sprang for a house in the oh-so-white burbs.

While it was a nice place for a kid to be able to
grow up, the racism shocked the shit out of me even
at the time (ages 10-14). We are talking about an
era when every restaurant or service station had 4
restrooms -- two for white, two for colored, and a
time when I was once thrown off of a bus as a kid
because I wanted to sit in the back. I was a kid,
and thought it would be more fun, but the driver
literally stopped the bus and told me that this
section was for "colored only," and that if I didn't
move to the front to "my section," he'd throw me off.
I didn't; he did. It left an impression, as did the
neighbor's line about the toilet seats.

But all of this was back in the late 1950s, and so
much has changed on the surface that I had really
begun to believe that a lot of the unreasoned,
unintelligent hatred and condescension of white
folks towards people whose skins are darker than
theirs, *for no reason* but that their skins are
darker than theirs, had largely gone away.

So consider it a shock on my part as well that John
McCain refused to shake hands with a black man during
a Presidential debate. He *has* to have known how
that would look, and his disdain for Obama and his
sense of superiority to him is so strong that he did
it anyway. That made me ashamed to be white.