On Oct 15, 2008, at 2:52 AM, sparaig wrote:

Shrug. There's suggestive evidence that extreme alpha coherence in the brain might be due to quantum interaction effects. Vaj's favorite Buddhist meditation
research is touted by Quantum Mind fans like Hamerhoff as evidence of
the 40Mhz EEG coherence due to QM effects in the brain that Hamerhoff has
been making for many years.

Actually the theory was worked out by Roger Penrose and Stu Hameroff and is very preliminary theory. I don't think anyone takes it truly seriously, but it is interesting theoretical fun.

Also, it's of little interest if the Buddhist and Hindu research on samadhi is relevant to just me. What made the Gamma-coherence samadhi research so interesting was not only that it was the first to replicate the samadhi of Patanjali yogins, but it was also the first recent example of a highly coherent EEG state outside of waking, sleeping or dreaming. That's why it's of major interest and received such worldwide acclaim.