> Of course, MY understanding is that MMY used Shankara's description
> of meditation as dying the cloth, combined with the traditional
> Patanjali discussion of mind fluctuations, all wrapped up in western
> terminology ala Hans Selye...
>
> But hey, maybe he read Dianetics first.

As I think I've mentioned before here, I doubt he's
ever really read anything of the literature of
Scientology or any other spiritual tradition.  But
Maharishi had a strong core follower in the early
days of the movement who had been L. Ron Hubbard's
personal secretary for many, many years, and she
probably told him a few things about Hubbard.

I remember at Squaw Valley 1968 she mentioned her
personal feelings that Hubbard was probably the
most brilliant man she had ever met, but was at
the same time (in her exact word) "certifiable."
She felt that he had a streak of paranoia that
influenced everything he ever did or wrote.

Unc