On Dec 27, 2008, at 10:51 PM, Peter wrote:

I'm trying to download itunes on my computer for the iphone I got from Santa. The installation is almost complete when this window pops-up:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Uninstall\Quicktime

It says that it could not open this key. What to do? Thanks.

I take it you're installing it on a Windows machine? Unfortunately I can't help much there. I was uninstall QT, reboot and then attempt a reinstall.

Apple's Windows support site comes up with the following:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1926

Summary
If you are having trouble installing iTunes or QuickTime for Windows, follow the troubleshooting suggestions described in this article.

Products Affected
QuickTime for Windows, iTunes 7 for Windows, Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, and Vista
Make sure you have admin access
To install iTunes or QuickTime software, you need to be logged in as an administrator on the computer. If you're not sure if you have administrator access, contact the owner of the computer or your system administrator.

Get the latest Windows updates
The first thing to do when troubleshooting an installation issue on a Windows computer is make sure you have the latest Microsoft Windows updates installed—to get the latest updates, go to the Microsoft Windows Update page.

iTunes and QuickTime software for Windows require Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista with latest Service Pack installed.

Solutions to common installation errors
Here are some common symptoms you may see when installing iTunes and QuickTime for Microsoft Windows. If you are experiencing one of these symptoms, try the suggested troubleshooting steps:

iTunes and QuickTime for Windows XP cannot be installed without Visual Basic Script (VBScript) iTunes for Windows: "Disk is locked" or "iTunes folder cannot be found" when installing or opening iTunes iTunes 7 or later for Windows Installation stops responding while "registering modules" QuickTime or iTunes Installer "Could not open key" alert stops install on Windows iTunes: Windows reports that iTunesSetup.exe is not a "valid Win32 application" "Bonjour service failed to start, verify you have sufficient privileges" error message when installing If you are not seeing one of these specific symptoms, or if the suggested steps do not help, proceed to the General Installation Troubleshooting section below.

General installation troubleshooting
Important: A majority of customers experience successful iTunes installation after completing these troubleshooting procedures. If one does not help, proceed to the next.

Completely remove iTunes and QuickTime
Empty your Temp directory and restart
Clean up iTunes installer files on the computer
Download QuickTime Standalone Installer
Disable other conflicting software
Make sure your folder names don't contain strange characters